an allegorical life

Heat



It has been suggested that I write something for the weekly newsletter, and so here we go.  I’m not sure this is the best time to start since this week the little grey cells do not seem to be working as well as they could.  I know people who love warm climates, but I am not one of them.  And no one around here can be like my relatives in Arizona who claim “but it’s a dry heat” as if that makes the world a better place.  But having it so warm outside reminds me that our scriptures took place in similar heat (though admittedly usually a dry heat, actually).  I come from people who wore wool and furs and bundled up in the winter and became stoic and quiet with dry senses of humor.  The scriptures come from warm-blooded Mediterranean places where people are passionate and have loud parties and in the evening the streets come alive, for the twilight brings relief and joy. 

As I read through the scriptures with a Jesus who seems so stoic and staid and tranquil and reminds me so much of my own people, I remind myself that I must remember that he comes from the hot-blooded ones.  He goes out in the evenings for a strong cup of coffee or to dance in the streets or to bring the best wine to a wedding party.  It doesn’t make me appreciate the heat any more, but it does make me appreciate Jesus more.  Shivering in the cold is often overrated anyhow, right?

0 commentary goes here

Post a Comment